Prosecutors Seek Breivik Insanity Verdict
Norwegian prosecutors want notorious mass murderer Anders Behring Breivik to be committed to compulsory psychiatric care instead of prison.
According to the prosecutors, it could not be ruled out that the 33-year-old Norwegian was psychotic when he killed 77 people in a bomb and gun rampage on July 22 2011.
"We request that he is transferred to compulsory psychiatric care," prosecutor Svein Holden has declared, as cited by BBC.
He has pointed out that although prosecutors could not be sure Breivik was insane, there remained doubt about his sanity.
The prosecutors believe that the mass murderer started planning his terror attacks in 2009, dagbladet.no says. They do not believe his description of the so-called "Knights Templar" network was reliable.
The defence concludes on Friday.
Breivik's lawyers have made it clear that their client does not want to be declared insane. He has described the alternative as "ending up in a madhouse."
In July 2011 Breivik murdered a total of 77 people by planting a bomb in Oslo's government center and then going on a shooting rampage in a children's camp on nearby island of Utoya in July 2011.
The children's camp was hosted by the ruling Labor Party.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » Day 214 of the Invasion of Ukraine: Lavrov Didn’t Rule Out Nuclear Weapons to Defend annexed Ukrainian Territories
- » Serbia and Russia will Coordinate their Foreign Policies
- » Bulgaria condemned the Referendums in Ukraine at the UN General Assembly
- » Day 213 of the Invasion of Ukraine: Referendums Continue for a Second Day in the Russian-Occupied Regions
- » UN: War Crimes were Committed in Ukraine during the Conflict with Russia
- » Italy's Elections might Put in Power the most Right-Wing Government since World War II