Sentenced Ex Romanian PM Nastase Attempts Suicide
Former Romanian Prime Minister Adrian Nastase has attempted to commit suicide, the Prosecutor's Office of Romania informed in a press release.
The suicide attempt occurred just several hours after Romania's highest court upheld Wednesday his two-year prison sentence on corruption charges.
According to the press release, the ex PM used a handgun to shoot himself in the throat with one bullet when police arrived in his home to arrest him. He has been transported to a hospital in the capital Bucharest and his life is said to be out of danger.
Nastase had appealed a March 30 court ruling that sentenced him to prison for illegally raising funds for a failed presidential campaign. Wednesday's high court decision is final.
Nastase was the Prime Minister of Romania from 2000 to 2004. He has insisted that the case is politically motivated.
Prosecutors said that companies and state agencies were forced to pay fees to attend a conference in 2004, and the money was then used to pay for Nastase's unsuccessful run for the presidency in 2004. He lost the runoff to President Traian Basescu.
Nastase is to be Romania's first leader to serve time in prison since the 1989 fall of communism.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » The European Commission urges Bulgaria to Reduce Air Pollution
- » Nehammer: The EU should Finance the Construction of a Fence along the Bulgarian-Turkish Border
- » Zelensky is Not Interested in Meeting Putin for Peace Talks
- » Attacks on Several Churches in Southern Spain, there are Killed and Injured
- » Day 337 of the Invasion of Ukraine: US Sends 31 M1 Abrams, Germany Sends 14 Leopards, The Tank Coalition Grows (UPDATED)
- » Meta to reinstate the Accounts of Donald Trump on Facebook and Instagram