Russian 'Opposition' TV Host Faces Khodorkovsky-Type Probe
Russian TV-host-turned-opposition-activist Ksenia Sobchak will have her tax declarations, bank accounts and business projects scrutinized for any possible wrongdoing, Russian Investigative Committee spokesman Vladimir Markin said on Friday.
Thus, Sobchak may be subjected to a probe similar to the tax investigations that sent Russian oligarch Mikhail Khodorkovsky to jail, who critics claim became the victim of political persecution.
The probe was launched following the search of her apartment on Monday when investigators impounded a large amount of cash - over EUR 1 M, USD 480,000 and RUB 480,000 (USD 16 000) - as part of a case that has been opened into the "riots" in central Moscow on May 6 ahead of Vladimir Putin's inauguration as president, RIA Novosti reported.
Investigators want to ascertain the source of that cash and make sure that no laws or regulations have been broken, Markin said.
Sobchak, who is the daughter of President Vladimir Putin's late St. Petersburg boss and mentor, wrote in her Twitter account that an investigator with a rank of major told her in so many words that she would have had no problem if she had not fallen in with bad company.
"Marry a Chekist," he told her, referring to a secret police officer.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » Indian Parliament passes landmark Women’s reservation Bill
- » Bulgaria and Romania expect to be in Schengen by the end of the year
- » Day 577 of the Invasion of Ukraine: New Attack on Sevastopol
- » Day 576 of the Invasion of Ukraine: Kyiv hit the HQ of Russia's Black Sea Fleet in Crimea
- » Day 575 of the Invasion of Ukraine: Deputy Commander of the Russian Northern Fleet Killed in Nagorno-Karabakh
- » Bashar Assad and his Wife arrived in China