Bulgaria's Volleyball Mess Deepens
Bulgaria's Sports Minister Svilen Neykov has stated that star player Matey Kaziyski may not boycott the upcoming Olympic tournament, adding that Martin Stoev is not be appointed as coach.
Several days ago, Kaziyski declared that he would not play for Bulgaria if Volleyball Federation head Dancho Lazarov does not resign.
On Thursday, the federation announced that Martin Stoev will take over as the team's new coach. However, it later stated that no such decision has been made.
"As far as I know, we will try to keep the team together and make sure all our boys play in 2012's Olympic Games in London. To my knowledge, there is no decision for the appointment of Martin Stoev as coach. There are enough ways for Matey Kaziyski to end up playing in the Olympic tournament," Svilen Neykov has said, as cited by Mediapool.
The national team's former coach Radostin Stoychev resigned on Monday, as he had declared that he would not lead the team in the Olympic games if Lazarov does not quit.
Stoychev was dismissed by the federation on May 13, a day after his team was defeated by Germany in the second semifinal of the 2012 Olympic Games-European Qualification Tournament in Sofia. Lazarov claimed that Stoychev's team "lost deliberately."
The popular and successful coach harshly criticized the federation for its inefficient management, the scandals that have marred all championships, the inflated number of board members, the existence of fictitious clubs.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » Bulgarian Boxer Kubrat Pulev convincingly Defeated Jerry Forest
- » Dimitrov Double Dips Stateside
- » For the First Time: Bulgarian Baseball Player with a Professional Contract in the USA
- » Here is How to Download the Betway Mobile apps for Android and iOS for Bulgaria
- » Four Betway bonuses that made this brand among the best in Bulgaria
- » Five things you need to know before playing free casino games online