Terrorists May Grab Hold of Syria's Chemical Weapons, Israel Warns
The Syrian stockpiles of chemical weapons may end up in the hands of terrorists as the ruling regime of President Bashar al-Assad and anti-government forces continue fierce fighting, an Israeli senior military commander warned.
"Syria's chemical arsenal is the world's largest. It has missiles that are capable of destroying targets on the entire territory of Israel," Kol Israel radio station quoted Israeli General Staff Deputy Chief, Major General Yair Naveh as saying, on Monday.
The Israeli army should keep its vigilance to prevent Syrian chemical weapons ending up in the hands of radical militant groups like Al Qaeda or the Lebanon-based Hezbollah, the general said, cited by RIA Novosti.
At least 9 000 people have been killed in clashes between the government and opposition forces in Syria since the start of the Arab Spring uprising against President Bashar al-Assad last year, according to UN estimates.
UN special envoy Kofi Annan said on Thursday his six-point peace plan aimed at stopping the violence in Syria is "not being implemented."
The presence of a group of UN observers has also had little impact on the situation. Annan warned of an escalating crisis and laid responsibility for the atrocities on al-Assad's regime.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » Day 581 of the Invasion of Ukraine: Russia blamed the US for the Nord Stream Explosion
- » Trump has been accused of Fraud on his way to the Top
- » At least 100 Killed, 150 injured as Fire broke out at a Wedding in Iraq
- » Roberta Metsola on Bulgaria’s Schengen membership: Expect a Positive Decision
- » UN Head warned of the Start of a New Nuclear Arms Race, calling it "Complete Madness”
- » The Dead after the Explosion in a Fuel Warehouse in Nagorno-Karabakh are 125 people