Vandals Ransack Bulgarian Church in German Capital Berlin
The Bulgarian church in the German capital Berlin, "St. Knyaz Boris-Mihail Baptist", has been ransacked by vandals, the head of the Bulgarian Religions Directorate Emil Velinov announced.
According to Velinov, three separate raids were carried out on the Bulgarian church in Berlin by unknown perpetrators within three days at the end of April 2012.
"Some 20 days ago the church, which is located in downtown Berlin, was raided and desecrated. What's even more tragic is that all priestly clothes were burned, the icons were left in a mess, and everything else has been taken away. Three raids in three days," Velinov told Darik Radio, thus breaking the news to the Bulgarian public only in late May.
In his words, the looters drew swords and images of late Iranian leader Aytollah Khomeini on the walls of the Bulgarian Church in Berlin.
"A total of 12 icons were stolen. They were later found in tossed around in a cemetery. Those of them who were intact were brought back to the church," Velinov said.
The damages to the Bulgarian church in the German capital Berlin, "St. Knyaz Boris-Mihail Baptist" are estimated at EUR 18 000-22 000. They will be covered by the Bulgarian state from the money already allocated to repair the church.
Velinov cited information from the German authorities saying that the perpetrators of the raids on the Bulgarian church in Berlin have been arrested but no information has made available as of yet about their origin or motives.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » Representative of Bulgaria’s Ministry of the Interior will be allowed by South Africa to the Investigation into “Karo’s” Murder
- » Europol: 28 Arrested for Smuggling Migrants via Bulgaria and Romania
- » A Security Expert pointed out that Kamenov's Murder was Not Typical of the Bulgarian Crime World
- » Wanted by Interpol Bulgarian Krasimir Kamenov-Karo was Murdered in South Africa
- » Bulgaria: Illegal Migrants are detained near Vladaya after a Chase with the Police
- » Bulgaria: Six People were detained after a Mass Fight in in Kardzhali - A Girl was Injured