Bulgarian President Pays Traditional Visit to Pope
An official Bulgarian delegation headed by President Rosen Plevneliev visited Thursday, May 24, Pope Benedict XVI on occasion of the day of the Cyrillic alphabet.
May 24 Bulgaria celebrates the deeds and legacy of Sts Cyril and Methodious - two Byzantine scholar brothers who developed the first script for the Slavic languages.
On this day a Bulgarian official delegation is officially sent to the Vatican, after Pope John Paul II proclaimed Sts Cyril and Methodius co-patrons of Europe together with St Benedict of Norcia in 1980.
Thursday Bulgaria's President Plevneliev renewed invitations to Pope Benedict XVI to visit Bulgaria.
"Our invitation is open, as is our country. Bulgarians have their hearts open for the Pope," said the President.
He added that Bulgaria is not only a haven of stability, but also could send a powerful message to the rest of the world.
Pope Benedict XVI thanked for the invitation and promised to consider it seriously.
"We received deep recognition here in the Vatican," commented President Plevneliev.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » Bulgarian Speaker of Parliament: North Macedonia should Not Waste Time but should fulfill the Criteria for EU Membership
- » Bulgaria’s MFA on Kovachevski's words: Any Analogy with the Suffering of the Ukrainian people is Cynical and Inadmissible
- » Bulgaria’s Foreign Minister urged India to influence Russia to End the War against Ukraine
- » North Macedonia explained why a Bulgarian MEP was not allowed to enter the country
- » The Macedonian MFA: Bulgarian MEP Kovachev does not meet the Conditions for Entry into the Country
- » North Macedonia did not allow a Bulgarian MEP to enter the country