Bulgarian Anti-mafia Police, DEA Bust Money Laundering Gang
Bulgaria's Unit for Combatting Organized Crime, GDBOP, and the US' DEA have jointly carried out a special police operation codenamed "The Launderers."
The Bulgarian special anti-mafia Prosecutor's Office led the operation.
An organized crime group, part of an international organization, acting in Bulgaria, has been neutralized. The criminals dealt with the laundering of money from narcotics trafficking from South America to Europe, transiting through Bulgaria.
The money, coming from countries such as Venezuela, has been deposited in the personal bank accounts in Bulgaria of the members of the group, and then was immediately wired to China, Hong Kong, Spain and the US. The total amount, according to estimates, exceeds BGN 5 M.
Three addresses in Sofia have been raided and the police confiscated as evidence bank, business and tax documents, personal computers, and cell phones.
Three men are under arrest. They are charged, along with three others, with money laundering. Their bank accounts and other assets valued at a total of BGN 2 M have been frozen under the request of the Prosecutor's Office.
The investigation is ongoing.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » 1 Tonne of Cocaine destined for Bulgaria was seized in Colombia
- » Bulgarian Prosecution accuses GDFOC of Unprecedented Pressure on the “Hemus” Investigation
- » Double Homicide in Varna
- » A 17-year-old Bulgarian was Killed in a Shootout in Copenhagen
- » "Information Service" for Green Certificates: We Repelled the biggest Cyber Attack in Bulgaria
- » Bulgarian Traffic Police Caught 30 Migrants on Trakia Highway near Sliven