Obama Officially Endorses Same-Sex Marriage
Barack Obama has become the first sitting US President to officially declare his support for same-sex marriage.
"I had hesitated on gay marriage, in part, because I thought civil unions would be sufficient," the President said, adding that the word "marriage" provokes very powerful traditions and religious beliefs in many people.
However, he pointed out that he has witnessed many committed same-sex marriages and thought about US service personnel who were "not able to commit themselves in a marriage."
The move puts Obama squarely at odds with presumptive Republican presidential runner Mitt Romney, CNN has observed.
"I believe marriage is a relationship between a man and a woman," Romney stated in Oklahoma on Wednesday.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » The European Commission will return the Monitoring of the Rule of Law in Bulgaria
- » Lavrov: Moldova could be the next Ukraine
- » Day 344 of the Invasion of Ukraine: Von der Leyen visits Kyiv, Russian Officer witnessed Brutal Torture of Ukrainians (UPDATED)
- » Poland: Distrust of Germany is Growing because of its Policy towards Ukraine
- » Netanyahu again Pushed Aside Negotiations with the Palestinians, Israel launched New Strikes in Gaza
- » Von der Leyen: Managing the Bulgarian-Turkish Border is the Most Urgent Task for Strengthening EU's Land Borders