Russian Plane with 44 Passengers Goes Missing near Jakarta
A Russian Sukhoi SuperJet 100 with 44 people on board disappeared from radar during a demonstration flight near Jakarta on Wednesday.
According to reports of RIA Novosti, the aircraft was carrying eight Russians and 36 foreign nationals, mostly representatives from major airline companies.
Indonesian authorities said that the aircraft may have been hijacked or crashed into a mountain in poor visibility.
The aircraft failed to return to the airport at the scheduled time following takeoff. By that time, the airplane should have burned up its fuel.
Shortly before radio contact was lost the pilots had requested permission to descend from 10,000 feet (3,000 meters) to 6,000 feet (1,800 meters), air traffic controllers said.
After it was cleared for descent the plane started turning right and descending but then disappeared from the radar screens at an altitude of 6,200 feet in a mountainous area, about 40 nautical miles from Jakarta airport.
A search operation has been initiated and will continue early on Thursday.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » Day 655 of the Invasion of Ukraine: Ukrainians are Under Threat if Western Countries Stop their Support for Kyiv
- » Chinese Ships "Shot" at Philippine Ships with a Water Cannon
- » The Israeli Offensive in Gaza Continues
- » Vienna's Schengen Surprise: Bargain Deals on the Table for Bulgaria, Romania!
- » Day 654 of the Invasion of Ukraine: Zelensky Calls on Ukrainians to Maintain Resilience in the Winter
- » Fighting in the Gaza Strip Escalated Last Night - US Vetoes Ceasefire