Fuel Thefts Drain Bulgaria's Railway Freight Services of BGN 2 M per Year
Authorities have seized 150 liters of stolen fuel following surprise checks at the Iliyantsi railway station in Sofia.
An unannounced check conducted at around 4 a.m. on Thursday at the staff respite room for employees of BDZ Freight Services yielded 150 liters of fuel, according to reports of Holding Bulgarian State Railways (BDZ) EAD.
The Transport Police Directorate was notified immediately after the raid and is now checking the spot.
The fuel has been supposedly drained from fuel tank wagons owned by OMV Bulgaria or Lukoil Bulgaria, two of the biggest customers of the freight unit of BDZ.
The cargo unit of BDZ loses an estimated BGN 50 000 per month as OMV and Lukoil file claims for the fuel losses from their wagons stored at Iliyantsi.
The stolen fuel was found in the employee lockers despite the ban on storing inflammable items in the staff respite room.
After the check in Iliyantsi, BDZ officials conducted another unannounced inspection at the staff room of BDZ Freight Services at the Voluyak railway station, northwest of Sofia.
The raid yielded 20 liters of fuel.
Transport Police officers were dispatched to the site and are still working on the case.
The governing body of BDZ Freight Services has vowed to continue surprise checks in a bid to stop fuel thefts.
Vladimir Vladimirov, Chair of the Board of Directors of BDZ Holding, announced Wednesday that BDZ Freight Services was losing some BGN 2 M per year from fuel thefts, while BDZ Passenger Services was being drained of BGN 1 M per year.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » Hollywood Action Hero Sylvester Stallone with Fake Bulgarian Passport, Found in a Police Operation
- » Crime: Mother Killed Her Own Two Children in Bulgarian Town of Sandanski
- » Bulgaria: Specialized Prosecutor's Office Started Action in Four Districts in Sofia
- » Bank Robbery in Bulgaria's City Sandanski
- » Deputy Speaker of the 44th Bulgarian National Assembly and The Leader of "VOLYA" Party Veselin Mareshki Sentenced to 4 Years in Prison
- » Bulgarian Police Department: Six People Detained at the Protest Today