Sofia Mayor Refuses to Accept Deputy Resignation over Stray Dogs
Bulgarian capital Sofia's Mayor Yordanka Fandakova will not accept the resignation filed by her Deputy, Mariya Boyadzhiyska, it has been made clear.
Boyadzhiyska, who is in charge for the environment, resigned on Monday over what has been widely perceived as her failure to deal with the city's vital stray dog issue.
"I will not accept her resignation. On the contrary, I expect her and her team to demand stricter measures for dealing with the stray dog problem even more tenaciously," Fandakova declared on Tuesday.
The Mayor pointed out that it has been Boyadzhiyska who has proposed legislative measures aiming to cope with the problem over the past two years.
"I consider it unacceptable for aggressive dogs and packs of dogs to stay on the street," Fandakova told the bTV private channel, reminding that even dogs which are not aggressive become dangerous when they are included in packs.
Fandakova further underlined that she loves animals and would not endorse a solution that is not humane.
Several dozen of thousands of stray dogs are estimated to be roaming the streets of Sofia – from the downtown to the outlying suburbs.
Public tensions over the issue escalated after last week a pack of stray dogs mauled a 88-year-old Bulgarian professor, Boteo Tachkov, who died of his wounds on Sunday.
- » The Court has Seized the Assets of the Former Economy Minister of Bulgaria Traicho Traikov
- » The Bulgarians Rate the Road Infrastructure in the Country as Bad
- » Technical Glitch Causing Difficulties to Processing of Persons and Vehicles Entering and Exiting Bulgaria
- » Half a Million Bulgarians Engaged in Undeclared Work
- » Bulgarian Institutions Continue to Use Unprotected Websites
- » Bulgarian Food Safety Agency: Over 30 Tonnes of Food Confiscated in August
"Fandakova further underlined that she loves animals and would not endorse a solution that is not humane." Shame on you, Mayor Fandykova! What are the humane solutions you mean? No humane solution allowing dog farming and pound seizure, which are the unofficial policies accepted years ago by City Hall. Please do not rely on your patron, Bojko Borisov, but state clearly what actually happen to all thousands dogs reportedly caught by Ecoravnovesie while you are in office.