Suicide Attack at Somalia Theater Kills More than 10
A suicide blast during a ceremony at the national theater in Mogadishu on Wednesday killed at least 10 people, including two of Somalia's top sports officials, and left dozens wounded.
A young woman strapped with explosives blew herself up in the building of the newly reopened national theater in Somalia's capital, the Al-Jazeera news channel reported.
The explosion struck during a ceremony to mark the mark the first anniversary of the start of a national TV station.
According to reports of international news agencies, the event was attended by some 200 people, including government officials and other dignitaries.
Prime Minister Abdiweli Mohamed Ali was unharmed by the blast, but witnesses said the heads of Somalia's Olympic committee and football association were killed in the attack.
Al-Shabab militants have claimed responsibility for the suicide bombing.
The theater in Mogadishu closed in the early 1990s as Somalia descended into civil war and was reopened on March 19.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » Day 467 of the Invasion of Ukraine: Kyiv claims Ignorance of a possible Counteroffensive
- » Serbia: 68,000 Weapons were Handed Over to authorities
- » OPEC+ will continue Oil Output Cuts as Prices remain Unchanged
- » A Faulty Switch may have caused India's Deadliest Train Crash
- » Day 466 of the Invasion of Ukraine: At least 20 Injured after Russian Attack in Dnipro
- » The VP of the European Parliament: Bulgaria has done its Homework for Schengen