Suicide Attack at Somalia Theater Kills More than 10
A suicide blast during a ceremony at the national theater in Mogadishu on Wednesday killed at least 10 people, including two of Somalia's top sports officials, and left dozens wounded.
A young woman strapped with explosives blew herself up in the building of the newly reopened national theater in Somalia's capital, the Al-Jazeera news channel reported.
The explosion struck during a ceremony to mark the mark the first anniversary of the start of a national TV station.
According to reports of international news agencies, the event was attended by some 200 people, including government officials and other dignitaries.
Prime Minister Abdiweli Mohamed Ali was unharmed by the blast, but witnesses said the heads of Somalia's Olympic committee and football association were killed in the attack.
Al-Shabab militants have claimed responsibility for the suicide bombing.
The theater in Mogadishu closed in the early 1990s as Somalia descended into civil war and was reopened on March 19.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » Turkey is preparing to take command of NATO forces in Kosovo
- » The Eurozone was in Recession in the First Quarter of 2023
- » Four Young Children have been Injured after a Knife Attack in a Town in the French Alps
- » Day 470 of the Invasion of Ukraine: US claims Russia is Responsible for Blowing Up the Kakhovka Dam
- » Due to the Severe Forest Fires in Canada - Authorities are giving out Free Masks in New York
- » 2024: The EU will Run out of Money for Ukraine