Serbian President Resigns, to Seek Reelection
Serbian President Boris Tadic resigned on Wednesday, a move that will allow him to run for re-election on May 6.
The resignation will be formerly submitted to the country's parliamentary speaker on Thursday.
Parliamentary and local elections are already scheduled to take place on May 6 and the parliamentary speaker is expected to call presidential elections on the same date.
Tadic's move is seen as a tactic to help his Democratic Party's campaign, BBC has observed.
Tadic, who is pro-Western, will be challenged by nationalist Russia-backed candidate Tomislav Nikolic in the upcoming vote.
Tadic`s full presidential term would have continued until the end of the year.
Parliamentary speaker Slavica Dukic-Dejanovic will take over as Serbia's acting president.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » Romania Strengthens its Defenses along the Danube due to the Approaching War
- » On Sunday the Istanbul Convention becomes binding in the EU
- » Day 583 of the Invasion of Ukraine: Russia is not planning further Mobilization
- » Sweden seeks Military Help against Gang Violence
- » The EU guarantees the Stay of Ukrainian Refugees until March 2025
- » The US Federal Administration is preparing for a Government Shutdown