Russia to Grant Surprising Discount on Natural Gas Prices for Bulgaria
Russia will grant a discount of around 11% on natural gas prices from April 1, according to preliminary reports of Gazprom cited by Energy and Economy Minister Delyan Dobrev.
Bulgaria currently pays USD 600 per 1000 cubic meters, which will be reduced to USD 534 per 1000 cu m from April, according to preliminary data.
The discount will be valid for the next nine months.
The news came out after Friday's meeting in Moscow between the Bulgarian Energy Minister, his Russian counterpart Sergey Shmatko and Gazprom CEO Alexei Miller.
In the course of Friday's talks, Gazprom expressed interest in the construction of a natural gas power plant in Belene, following the suspension of the project for building a nuclear power plant on the site.
The Russian energy giant vowed to study the opportunities for its participation in the gas power plant scheme.
As regards the Belene NPP project, Bulgaria undertook a commitment to pay everything that had already been prepared, with the exact sum to be specified in April, the Bulgarian National Radio (BNR) reported.
Russia also said it would take part in the activities surrounding the transformation of the two units earmarked for the Belene NPP project into one reactor that would be mounted at the Kozloduy NPP.
The issue of Bulgaria having to pay penalties for its withdrawal from the Belene NPP project was not brought up during the talks.
- » Bulgaria Becomes Part of the Common European Electricity Market
- » Energy Expert: These 11 km from Balkan Stream are Extremely Important for Bulgaria
- » The Construction of the Balkan Stream Gas Pipeline Through Bulgaria Has Started (Video)
- » Agreements For Financing the Gas Connection Bulgaria - Greece Are Signed
- » Belene NPP Project to Be Licensed by the End of the Year
- » The Sixth Unit of Kozloduy NPP Will Receive a License for another 10 Years