Bulgarian Attempts to Smuggle Reptiles Hidden in Bus
An illegal shipment containing a diverse array of reptiles was detained on a bus travelling from the Czech Republic to Bulgaria.
A total of six monitor lizards, three caimans, three pythons, 15 chameleons, 49 tortoises, one scorpion, six crabs, 10 snails and a number of cockroaches and worms were found during an inspection of the vehicle at the Kalotina border crossing point at 6.45 a.m. on Monday, the Customs Agency said in a statement.
The live reptiles had been stuffed in bags in the bus' luggage compartment.
The customs inspection revealed that a Bulgarian citizen had tried to smuggle the reptiles into the country without declaring them.
The offender had also failed to get permission for the special shipment from the customs authorities.
The investigation into the case continues.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » Bulgaria: Anti-Corruption Commission with Claims for BGN 140 Million Against Minyu and Stayko Staykovi
- » Bulgaria: Former Ministers Simeon Dyankov, Traicho Traikov and Businessman Prokopiev Acquitted in EVN Case
- » Bulgarian Chief Prosecutor Geshev: Senior Officials Have Been Arrested in Anti-Drug Operations
- » Unregulated Contacts of President Radev’s Secretary with Businessman Plamen Bobokov
- » PM Boyko Borisov, Vladislav Goranov and Menda Stoyanova Are Questioned in the Investigation Against Mogul Bozhkov
- » Commission for Combating Corruption Checks Bulgarian Education Minister Valchev for Conflict of Interest