Trial against Brazil-Jailed Olympic Champ to Kick Off
The first hearing of the trial against Bulgarian Olympic weightlifting champion Galabin Boevski is to begin at 8 pm EET in Brazil on Tuesday.
In October, Boevski was detained in Brazil with 7.2 kilos of cocaine and charged with drug trafficking offense that could result in 15 years behind bars.
The drug was found hidden in special secret compartments inside his suitcase at the Guarulhos Airport in Sao Paulo.
The former Olympic champion has vehemently denied to have been involved at any point in his life with people, dealing with drugs trafficking.
At the end of February a Brazilian supreme court ruled to keep the former weightlifter in jail and rejected the defense request to release the client under house arrest.
The 36-year-old Boevski won the gold medal at the 2000 Sydney Olympics in the 152-pound category. He was banned for eight years by the International Weightlifting Federation for doping in 2004.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » Hollywood Action Hero Sylvester Stallone with Fake Bulgarian Passport, Found in a Police Operation
- » Crime: Mother Killed Her Own Two Children in Bulgarian Town of Sandanski
- » Bulgaria: Specialized Prosecutor's Office Started Action in Four Districts in Sofia
- » Bank Robbery in Bulgaria's City Sandanski
- » Deputy Speaker of the 44th Bulgarian National Assembly and The Leader of "VOLYA" Party Veselin Mareshki Sentenced to 4 Years in Prison
- » Bulgarian Police Department: Six People Detained at the Protest Today