Bulgarian Activists Table 52 000 Signatures against Shale Gas Hydrofracking
The Civic Initiative for banning exploration and extraction of shale gas using the so called hydrofracking method has tabled to the Bulgarian Parliament 52 000 signatures in support of its demands.
Bulgarian citizens from over 350 cities, towns, and villages joined the hydrofracking banning initiative with their signatures that were handed to Parliament Chair Tsetska Tsacheva on Friday, says a statement of the civic group.
The 52 000 signatures have been collected since November 26, 2011, with demands to update the Bulgarian Mining Resources Act in order to protect nature and people's health.
The initiative insists on a total and permanent ban of hydrofracking for any extraction operations.
A month ago the Bulgarian Parliament imposed a moratorium on the highly controversial exploration and extraction of shale gas until there are guarantees that this activity would not affect the environment.
Civic activists, however, see the moratorium as insufficient and prone to changes under the influence of lobby groups.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » More than 18 Thousand cubic meters of Illegal Logging in Bulgaria was Established in 2022
- » Bulgaria: The Snow caused Problems in Mountain Passes, Yellow Code for Heavy Rain in 11 Regions
- » Bulgaria: Drive your Cars prepared for Winter Conditions
- » Bulgaria: Orange Code for Snow in 4 Regions for Tomorrow
- » Weather in Bulgaria will be mostly Cloudy, almost No Precipitation
- » Weather in Bulgaria: The Cold Continues, Snowfall and Rainfall are Expected