Notorious Bulgarian Lobbyist Gets Suspended Sentence
Notorious Bulgarian businessman and alleged court lobbyist Krasimir Georgiev, aka Krasio the Black, was punished by a 2-year suspended sentence.
A panel from the Sofia District Court found Georgiev guilty of perjury in lying that he had not known any magistrates, despite collected evidence to the opposite.
The prosecution commented they were satisfied with the rule even though they had asked for a 2.5-year effective sentence. The Prosecutor told the media that she was still in the process of deciding if she should file an appeal while Krasio was adamant he was taking the case to the Appeals Court.
He explained that he never said he did not known any judges or prosecutors, but only that he never discussed appointments in the judicial system with them. Phone call logs and invoices are considered proof for his "judicial" connections.
In addition to perjury, Georgiev was also charged in February 2011 with tax evasion in the amount of BGN 95 000. The other case against him – for trading influence has been dismissed while the prosecutor's office explained it has been changed to charges of tax crimes.
The Krasio scandal started on June 18, 2009, when a member of the Bulgarian Supreme Judicial Council, Ivan Kolev, revealed information that "some guy called Krasio from Pleven" promised appointments to magistrate positions in exchange for EUR 200 000. Krasio was said to be able to "guarantee" the support of 8-13 members of a total of 27 members of the Council.
Several judges and magistrates, including Supreme ones, have been dismissed or resigned in the aftermath over proven contacts with Georgiev.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » Bulgaria: Massive Special Police Operation in Sofia (UPDATED)
- » Representative of Bulgaria’s Ministry of the Interior will be allowed by South Africa to the Investigation into “Karo’s” Murder
- » Europol: 28 Arrested for Smuggling Migrants via Bulgaria and Romania
- » A Security Expert pointed out that Kamenov's Murder was Not Typical of the Bulgarian Crime World
- » Wanted by Interpol Bulgarian Krasimir Kamenov-Karo was Murdered in South Africa
- » Bulgaria: Illegal Migrants are detained near Vladaya after a Chase with the Police