Bulgaria Regions Alarmed over Floods, Severe Cold
The southern Bulgarian town of Zlatograd is ready to be evacuated due to heavy downpours, while other parts of the country remain under Code Orange because of the severe winter conditions.
The remote municipalities of Zlatograd and Nedelino in the southern Smolyan Region declared emergency already on Sunday, after rain and melting snow caused overflowing of rivers and reservoirs.
The level at the surface of the local Varbitsa river has risen drastically, while dozens of houses in Nedelino have been reported flooded, dnevnik.bg informs.
The southern Bulgarian municipalities of Kardzhali and Smolyan are under code red, as meteorologists have warned that floods are very likely to occur in the Rhodope region during the day.
The whole of western Bulgaria is under Code Orange, while most of the eastern part of the country is under Code yellow, as heavy snowfalls continue. Extremely low temperatures are to persist until Wednesday.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » Droughts alone could cost 1% of GDP in Central Eastern Europe in Coming Years
- » Bulgaria: Heavy Rain in 10 Provinces, Strong Wind in 5
- » Yellow and Orange Wind Codes in almost all of Bulgaria
- » Owner of Patagonia Donated All Profits to Save the Planet
- » Yellow Code for Strong Winds in 12 Regions of Bulgaria for September 12
- » More than 3000 Lightnings fell in an hour in Bulgaria - Stara Zagora and Karlovo are Flooded