Clinton in Sofia: US Joins Decade of Roma Inclusion
US Secretary of State Hillary Clinton has praised Bulgaria for its efforts in integrating its Roma minority, during her Sunday visit to the country.
After her official program, which including meetings with Bulgarian President Rosen Plevneliev and PM Boyko Borisov, Clinton met representatives of Roma NGOs at the US embassy in Sofia.
"The US will join the Decade of Roma Inclusion as an official observer," stated Clinton.
The Decade of Roma Inclusion (2005-2015) is a joint initiative by European governments, including Bulgaria to further Roma integration in their countries.
Speaking after the meeting, the US Secretary of State said that Roma inclusion is an "unfinished business" in Europe.
She further expressed concern about simmering anti-Roma attitudes in Europe as a whole and Bulgaria in particular.
Roma NGO representatives said that the US State Secretary vowed the support of her country for Roma empowerment and the emancipation of Roma women.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » Special Interview with the Indian Ambassador Pooja Kapur for Novinite.com: India and Bulgaria are Time Tested Friends
- » Iran Pledges to Give More Detailed Responses about Ukrainian Air Boeing Crash
- » Bulgaria’s President: Discrimination against Ethnic Bulgarians in North Macedonia Must Be Done with
- » History Event: Niagara Falls will be Illuminated in the Colors of the Bulgarian Flag on March 3
- » Bulgarian MEP Calls for Restoring Trust between Bulgaria and North Macedonia
- » Vaccination Campaign Kicks off in North Macedonia, Bulgaria Failed to Deliver on Vaccine Promises