Bulgaria to Rule on Alleged Supermarkets Cartel within Month
Bulgaria's anti-monopoly commission is to rule within a month on a suspected cartel agreement among six Bulgarian and international retailers, operating on the country's territory.
Exactly a year ago Bulgaria's Commission for Competition Protection said Germany's Metro Cash & Carry, HIT, Kaufland, Austria's Billa, Serbia's Piccadilly and Latvia's Maxima have been caught in an unregulated coordination of their trade and marketing policies.
All of the chains have applied common mechanisms for coordinating their trade policy on the goods supply market with their marketing policy in promotions, the regulator alleged.
According to it the retailers have indirectly exchanged information on supply prices, negotiated with the same suppliers, and on the marketing strategies of the competition.
They are also accused of coordinating their actions by applying vertical agreements for defining the levels of supply prices and discounts, and the amount of fees for access to commercial areas.
The supermarket chains vehemently denied the accusations and demanded that the regulator's documents be declassified and provided to them.
The retailers received the documents partly declassified at the beginning of December 2011.
The decision of the Commission for Competition Protection can be appealed within 60 days, a period which expires at the end of this month.
The six major supermarket chains were probed in 2009 on suspicions that they had pressured suppliers to lower prices.
In September 2009, HIT Hypermarket was fined twice for concealing information.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » TPP ContourGlobal Maritsa 3 produced over 12% of the Electricity in Bulgaria in 2022
- » Bulgarian Financier: Adoption of the Euro will Not Raise Prices
- » Bulgaria allowed the Export to Ukraine of Petroleum Products obtained from Russian Crude Oil
- » Bulgargaz offers a Gas Price of BGN 124.35/MWh for February
- » The Construction of the Bulgarian Route of the Gas Connection with Serbia has Started
- » Restart of the Winter Season in Bulgaria: Heavy Snow and many Tourists in Pamporovo and Chepelare