Bulgarian Environment Ministry Halts 'Deadly' Wind Park
Bulgaria's Ministry of Environment and Waters annulled a decision of its Regional Directorate in the Black Sea city of Burgas to allow the construction of a wind park.
The information was reported Friday by the Bulgarian news agency, BTA, and was confirmed by the Ministry.
The move was triggered by a complaint of two environmentalists NGOs.
The previously approved wind park was to have 11 wind generators to be erected on one of the most intense sections of one of the two largest bird migration routes in Europe – Via Pontica. In this section, the flight corridor is the narrowest north of the Bosphorus and does not exceed 60 km.
In addition, the site of the wind park is just 5 km away from the protected area "Atanasovsko" lake, a proven, by 20 years of research, most important place for migration of storks, pelicans, and raptor birds in Bulgaria – 240 000 storks and 60 000 raptor birds a year are registered there.
The wind park would have turned into a deadly barrier for birds coming from the North and stopping at the lake overnight.
The decision of the local Directorate had been based on erroneously presented information and an incomplete assessment, according to the environmentalists, who have already thanked Minister, Nona Karadzhova, for the decision.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » Weather in Bulgaria: Mostly Cloudy with Max. Temperatures Between 11°C and 16°C
- » Weather in Bulgaria: Significant Clouds with Max. Temperatures Between 7°C and 12°C
- » Weather in Bulgaria: Rain will Continue in some areas of the Country, Snow in the Mountains
- » Weather in Bulgaria: Increase in Clouds and Rain in the Afternoon. Temperatures: 10°C and 15°C
- » Weather in Bulgaria: Mostly Sunny with Max Temperatures Between 9°C and 14°C
- » Weather in Bulgaria: Windy and Cloudy with Max Temp Between 7°C and 12°C