Heavy Snowfall Hurdles Traffic in Southern Bulgaria
Vehicles have been stranded in Southern Bulgaria near Plovdiv as a result of surprisingly heavy snowfall in the afternoon on Saturday, the last day of 2011.
The inclement weather is reported to have created greatest problems near the town of Asenovgrad where snow drifts have reached 60 cm in height.
Traffic is difficult all over the Rhodope Mountains in Southern Bulgaria, with the snow cover in the ski resort of Pamporov reaching 90 cm.
Twenty-one out of Bulgaria's 27 districts have declared a Code "Yellow" alert over the inclement winter weather, the third highest level of alert meaning potentially hazardous weather.
Only Northwestern Bulgaria is expected, untypically, is expected to have milder weather in the first days of 2012.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » Bulgaria is Threatened with a Fine of an Eight Figure Sum in Euros because of Landfills
- » Because of the Climate, the US Senate approved the "Biggest Investment in History"
- » Europe and the US in Sweltering Heat, 50 Degrees in Iraq
- » Over 1,000 killed in Spain's Heatwave
- » Bulgaria: The Weather will get Hotter in the coming days
- » Bulgaria: Extreme Danger of Fires Today