15 Workers Injured by Ammonia Leak in Bulgarian Dairy Plant
A total of 15 workers were hospitalized on Friday after being exposed to an ammonia leak in the BCC Handel dairy plant in Bulgaria's town of Elena, with three of them in a life-threatening condition.
A pipe leading to a refrigeration facility in the plant was hit by a truck early on Friday, causing some 70 liters of ammonia to leak. The workers were transported to a hospital in the nearby city of Veliko Tarnovo. Seven of them were released for home treatment.
Three of the dairy plant's employees have received more serious injuries and are still in peril. A woman has fallen on the ground as a result of the accident receiving a head injury, while a man's hand has been severely burned, which has prompted a surgical intervention. Another man has also been badly injured, dariknews.bg informs.
The three workers will probably remain hospitalized for several weeks, according to hospital officials.
Approximately 100 people work in the BCC Handel dairy plant in Elena, all of whom were evacuated according to the safety procedures.
A measurement of the ammonia levels in Elena has taken place, showing that the town's population is not in danger, local authorities assure.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » Droughts alone could cost 1% of GDP in Central Eastern Europe in Coming Years
- » Bulgaria: Heavy Rain in 10 Provinces, Strong Wind in 5
- » Yellow and Orange Wind Codes in almost all of Bulgaria
- » Owner of Patagonia Donated All Profits to Save the Planet
- » Yellow Code for Strong Winds in 12 Regions of Bulgaria for September 12
- » More than 3000 Lightnings fell in an hour in Bulgaria - Stara Zagora and Karlovo are Flooded