Bulgaria Gets 114m Bridge Rebuilt for Expendables-2 Shooting
The bridge connecting the left bank of the river Osam and the Devetashka Cave, which was rebuilt from scratch for the the shoot of "The Expendables 2", will remain as a gift to Bulgaria, the production company said in a statement.
The bridge repair cost BGN 600 000, according to announcements made after a meeting on the film set between Nu Boyana Film Studios CEO David Varod and Lovech District Governor Vanya Sabcheva.
The only thing that was left of the old bridge construction was the bridge columns, which were reinforced with concrete, while everything else was built anew.
The bridge's new reinforcement weighs 25 tons.
The company contracted for the project was Plovdiv-based Metalik MM.
The reconstruction of the bridge is unique and is the first of its kind for Bulgaria.
The local authorities are positive that the new bridge, combined with the huge interest in the blockbuster action film will revive tourism in the region.
On November 24, Lovech's District Governor Sabcheva visited the Devetashka cave to see the unfolding preparations for the film shoot and make sure that the instructions of Bulgaria's Culture Ministry were being followed.
- » New Movie of Bulgarian Animation Artist Theodore Ushev, The Physics of Sorrow, has been Shortlisted for the Oscar Awards
- » UNESCO Added the Turkmen Rugs to its Intangible Cultural Heritage List
- » Bulgarians Have Received an European Award for Development in the Film Industry
- » Bulgarian Movie Won the Best Picture Award at the Cottbus Film Festival in Germany
- » A Turkish Court Ruling Could Turn Saint Sofia into a Mosque
- » Bulgaria Celebrates the Day of the Bulgarian National Revival Leaders