Nearly One Third of Bulgarians Live without Health Insurance
By August 31, 2011 the number of Bulgarians without health insurance has reached the staggering 1 931 662 people.
This is up by 38 067 people in the course of just one year and three months.
The data comes from a check done in person by Deputy Prime Minister, and Finance Minister, Simeon Djankov, under the request of the Member of the Parliament from the right-wing Blue Coalition, Vanio Sharkov.
The check used the database of the Directorate General of Civil Registration and Administrative Service (GRAO), which shows that by May 31, 2010, this number had been 1 893 595.
In both cases, the number of people without health insurance includes those who have left the country permanently, but failed to declare it before the National Revenue Agency (NRA).
Sharkov says the main reasons for such increase are the crisis and higher unemployment rate, making people try saving on insurance.
Djankov informs that in March 2011, NRA had proposed to the management of the National Social Security Institute (NOI) and the Main Labor Inspectorate to form a work group for preventive control – faster exchange of information among different institutions when labor and insurance fraud had been established. According to the Finance Ministry, the measures have led to collecting, since the beginning of 2011 until the end of August, BNG 172 M in unpaid dues to the National Health Insurance Fund (NZOK).
In 2010, the NRA agents have collected unpaid insurance from 2 682 individuals and have audited 1.9 million self-insured people over false data in their health declaration.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » New and Dangerous Trend: Intentionally Getting Infected with COVID-19
- » Bulgarian Healthcare: You Pay Dearly to Die Early
- » Bulgarian Mathematician: No More than 70-80% of Green Certificates are Genuine
- » Bulgarian Health Minister: Restrictions in Five Areas are Expected within Days
- » Improved Pfizer Vaccine, which will Affect Omicron, will be Ready No Earlier than March
- » Studies in the United States Point to the Need for a Third Dose of Covid Vaccine