Bulgaria to Reintroduce Extinct Prehistoric Wild Horses
Tarpans, extinct prehistoric wild horses, are to be reintroduced to Bulgaria's nature at the beginning of September as a part of the Bulgarian – Dutch New Thracian Gold Project.
The first group of 12 tarpans to be reintroduced in Bulgaria will arrive from The Netherlands and will be settled in the southern Krumovgrad region near the Bulgarian-Turkish border. Initially, the animals will live in a fenced area, until they get used to the Eatern Rhodopes environment, the BGNES news agency says.
The Tarpan is a prehistoric wild horse type that ranged from Southern France and Spain east to central Russia. Paleontologists have found out that the species was present in Bulgaria, too. It died out in the wild between 1875 and 1890 Beginning in the 1930s, several attempts have been made to re-create the tarpan through selective breeding.
"The New Thracian Gold", a project of ARK Nature and the Avalon Foundation, was awarded funding from the Dutch National Postcode Lottery Extra draw in 2009. The project has been using this grant since 2009 to develop natural grazing, organic agriculture and ecotourism in the Eastern Rhodopes
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » Weather in Bulgaria: First Snow is expected on Tuesday. Cold, but without Siberian frosts in December
- » Weather in Bulgaria: Cloudy with Light Rains across the Country
- » Weather in Bulgaria: Sunny in the East with Max Temp Between 7°-12°C
- » Weather in Bulgaria: Significant Clouds and Max Temperatures Between 6°-11°C
- » Weather in Bulgaria: Cloudy with Rain Showers in Many Places of the Country
- » Weather in Bulgaria: Clouds will Increase with Max Temp Between 13°-18°C