Bulgaria Marks National Day of Tourism, Hiking
Bulgarians mark Sunday the 116th anniversary of organized hiking and tourism in the country.
The event is held traditionally at the Cherni Vrah peak in the Vitosha mountain, near the capital Sofia.
The first hiking and tourist society in Bulgaria was founded on August 27, 1895 by Bulgarian writer and nature-lover Aleko Konstantinov on the top of Cherni Vrah (2290 m). The society transformed into the present Bulgarian Tourist Union, and the anniversary of its founding is marked yearly on the last Sunday of August.
A couple of days after the original event Aleko published an enthusiastic article under the title "Unbelievable but True: 300 People on Cherni Vrah."
The 2011 event will feature a concert by the Planinarska Pessen (Mountain Song) choir to be held in front of the Vitosha mountain cabin with the same name.
Flowers will be laid at the Aleko Konstantinov bas-relief which is located near the Aleko mountain cabin.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » Wizz Air announced New Route from Bulgaria to Armenia
- » Wizz Air with 77% Growth in Passenger Flow in Bulgaria for 2022
- » Mexico deported 27 Bulgarian Tourists in the span of 3 Months, Some were Kept in Cells for 4 Days
- » Snow finally Covered the Tracks in Pamporovo
- » Bulgarian Hoteliers are coming up with Alternative Activities for Skiers in Anticipation of Snow in the Winter Resorts
- » The Political Situation and the Snowless Winter are Not Helping Tourism in Bulgaria