Rebel Council Chair: Libya Needs to Work for National Reconciliation
After overthrowing the regime of Muammar Gaddafi, Libyans need to work hard to achieve reconciliation, stated rebel National Transitional Council chair Mahmoud Jibril.
Jibril spoke at a news conference after meeting French President Nicolas Sarkozy in Paris, while on a round trip to ensure international financial and political support for what appears to be the next government of Libya.
"National reconciliation is a top priority for the National Transitional Council. We must achieve one Libya for all Libyans," said Jibril.
The months long rebellion against the 4-decade rule of Libyan leader Muammar Gaddafi, albeit meeting powerful popular support, has divided Libyan society, with some segments remaining supportive of Gaddafi.
Wednesday Jibril acknowledged there are difficult challenges that lie ahead for the next rulers of the country.
Apart from the division, he recalled what he saw as the absence of a proper political culture and climate in his home country for some 42 years.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » Day 213 of the Invasion of Ukraine: Referendums Continue for a Second Day in the Russian-Occupied Regions
- » UN: War Crimes were Committed in Ukraine during the Conflict with Russia
- » Italy's Elections might Put in Power the most Right-Wing Government since World War II
- » Day 212 of the Invasion of Ukraine: Referendums on Joining Russia have started in 4 Ukrainian Regions
- » Russia Banned the Bulgarian Language in Occupied Ukraine
- » Day 211 of the Invasion of Ukraine: The World Reacts to Putin’s Mobilization