MEPs Disgusted at Bulgarian Capital's Waste Dump
A delegation from the European Parliament visited Saturday the Suhodol waste dump in Bulgarian capital Sofia, following a petition by local citizen and environmentalists regarding the impact of the facility.
"I was shocked when I saw those women sorting out the trash without protective gloves and masks. This is a dangerous workplace," said Danish Green MEP Margrete Auken.
She added that she has seen a desire on the part of local authorities to improve the conditons at the site, but "not enough will."
"Nevertheless, the equipment and potential for work in place at the facility are much below the minimum requirements," added the MEP.
This week the European Commission had approved the allotment of EUR 50 M for part of Sofia's much-discussed waste processing plant that has been in the works for years now, but has not yet been constructed due to various technical reasons.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » Weather in Bulgaria: Sunny and Hot Weekend
- » Weather in Bulgaria July 10: Mostly Sunny Today, Temperatures Up to 34 Degrees
- » Weather in Bulgaria July 9: Sunny and Hot, Temperatures Up to 33 Degrees
- » Bulgaria: 3-Year-Old Bear Found Dead Near Velingrad
- » Weather in Bulgaria July 8: Mostly Sunny Today, Temperatures up to 29 Degrees
- » Weather in Bulgaria July 7: Cloudy and Rainy Today