Hungarian Presidency: EU Still without Foreign Policy
The EU is still a long way from have a foreign policy of its own, according to Hungarian Foreign Minister Janos Martonyi, who spoke days before Hungary transfers the rotating EU Presidency to Poland.
"EU foreign policy chief Catherine Ashton is doing her best so that this common foreign and security policy will be built up ... but it's not yet there," said Hungarian Foreign Minister Janos Martonyi Monday, as quoted by DPA, a news conference to summarize the Hungarian EU Presidency at the European council headquarters in Brussels.
In his words, EU countries still not having decided how far they have to go in terms of common foreign policy in some specific situations.
The position of EU High Representative for Foreign and Security Policy and the European External Action Service have been set up under the Lisbon Treaty in 2010.
"As far as Libya is concerned, I was always one of those who felt that for the situation action had to be taken ... at least some of the member states reacted correctly, appropriately, and just in time,' the Hungarian minister noted.
While Britain, France, Italy and Belgium are taking part in NATO air raids, and other EU countries are helping the alliance enforce a no-fly zone and a naval embargo, Germany has backed out of any military engagement.
"We all know that foreign and security policy is not like agriculture or trade policy ... we are 27 (states), we need time and that means that sometimes we cannot react as speedily as would be needed, but we are improving," Martonyi said.
- » The Juncker Plan Will Provide Financial Assistance of BGN 10 million For 320 Micro-Enterprises in Bulgaria
- » EP Supports Accession Talks with Albania and Northern Macedonia
- » New Report: EC Reports on Bulgaria's Progress, Considers Dropping Monitoring (REVIEW)
- » Today's EC Monitoring Report on Bulgaria is Likely to be the Latest
- » The Latest Monitoring Report on Bulgaria is Expected to be Submitted Today
- » Six Countries Sign Common Document on Mobility Package