Police Want Unknown 'Vandal' Decorator of Sofia Soviet Army Monument
The Bulgarian police have started a search for an unknown artist, also described as a "vandal", who decorated part of the soldier statues on the Soviet Army monument as Western popular culture heroes.
The unknown decorator has painted the bronze figures of Soviet soldiers turning into various characters – including Superman, Santa Claus, Batman's friend Robin and his adversary the Joker (Batman himself is absent), and McDonalds's symbol Ronald McDonald, among others.
The Soviet flag waved by the soldiers is painted to become a US flag, while a big inscription added by the artist says below the soldier statues says, "Rolling with Time."
The "westernizing" decoration of part of the Soviet Army monument has proven quite popular with flocks of foreign tourists rushing to take photos with it.
The Soviet Army monument in the Bulgarian capital Sofia has been a bone of contention among "anti-communists", "russophobes", and other groups ever since the fall of communism in 1989.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » 593 COVID-19 Infected, Another Death Case
- » BRC: A Chinese Company has Provided 150,000 Protective Masks
- » A 48-Year-Old Bulgarian with Suspected Coronavirus Infection Died in Spain
- » Code Yellow Warning of Rough Seas Issued for the Coastal Area of Burgas Region
- » Jack Dorsey, Co-Founder of Twitter Donates $ 1 Billion from his Personal Wealth to Help Fight COVID-19
- » Bulgaria Allocates nearly BGN 200,000 to Help Albania Recover from the Earthquake