Deutsche Welle Silences Bulgarian Program from July
Starting July 1, Deutsche Welle closes programs in Bulgarian, Greek, Croatian, Macedonian, Polish and Romanian, the media corporation said in a statement.
According to the announcement, the suspension of a large part of the radio programs of the state-financed corporation is due to a decision to focus on TV and Internet content.
Shortwave radio, which can be received across continents, is falling into disuse, due to the declining number of people with such receivers.
Radio fans now prefer to listen to ultra-short wave programs, transmitted through radio relay towers and Internet.
Although Deutsche Welle's program in Bulgaria has long been transmitted through ultra-short waves, it will be suspended as of July 1. The media will keep its current online presence.
"Deutsche Welle in Bulgaria stays", Alexander Andreev, head of DW's Bulgarian desk, said in a statement. He made it clear that an overall change of strategy of the company envisaged a shift of focus to TV, online and mobile products.
Bulgarian audiences will be able to follow Deutsche Welle programs on Darik Radio and the Bulgarian National Radio (BNR). Details about the airing time and the length of the programs will be provided at a later stage.
Deutsche Welle in Bulgaria will soon offer TV formats, which will be uploaded on the website and will air on TV programs of Bulgarian partners of the media. Further information about this will be available later.
Deutsche Welle will keep shortwave radio programs for China and Africa.
The Bundestag approved these cuts in April.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » Bulgaria’s Polar Explorers are soon leaving for Antarctica
- » WHO: The Omicron Variant could Worsen the Situation in Europe
- » Prof. Iva Hristova: Not a single Case of Omicron has been Registered in Bulgaria yet
- » North Macedonia held a Funeral for the 45 Victims of the Bus Crash that occurred in Bulgaria
- » Weather in Bulgaria: Rain will Continue in some areas of the Country, Snow in the Mountains
- » COVID-19 in Bulgaria: Slight Increase in New Cases in the Last 24h