Bin Laden Planned Attack on US on September 11 Anniversary
Documents, found at Osama Bin Laden's home in Pakistan, reveal he was planning new attacks on the US, according to US officials.
Bin Laden, the al-Qaeda founder and leader, was on the top of the US most wanted list since the attacks on New York and Washington in 2001. He was killed Monday by US special forces in northern Pakistan. Officials are examining computers, DVDs and documents seized from the Abbottabad home where Bin Laden hid for years.
Information about the apparent plans to strike America on the 10th year anniversary of September 11 was contained in a joint FBI and Homeland Security bulletin, BBC reports.
The bulletin, which had been sent to law enforcement officials, explained that handwritten notes taken from Bin Laden's compound showed plans of large-scale attack on an unspecified US railway track, involving the derailment of a train so that it would plunge into a valley.
"While it is clear that there was some level of planning for this type of operation in February 2010, we have no recent information to indicate an active ongoing plot to target transportation and no information on possible locations or specific targets," the warning read.
One intelligence official is quoted saying the notes revealed the ambition to hit the US with large-scale attacks in major cities and on key dates such as anniversaries and holidays.
An unnamed US official told the New York Times the documents proved that Bin Laden was not merely a figurehead for al-Qaeda sympathizers worldwide.
"He continued to plot and plan, to come up with ideas about targets, and to communicate those ideas to other senior Al-Qaeda leaders," the newspaper quotes the official as saying.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » Day 466 of the Invasion of Ukraine: At least 20 Injured after Russian Attack in Dnipro
- » The VP of the European Parliament: Bulgaria has done its Homework for Schengen
- » Day 465 of the Invasion of Ukraine: Kyiv is Ready to start its Counteroffensive says Zelensky
- » At least 280 Dead and over 900 Injured in a Crash between Two Trains in India
- » Tragedy in India: At least 50 Dead and hundreds Injured after Train Crash
- » 700 NATO troops have arrived in Northern Kosovo