Thousands of Bulgarians Flock to See Wondrous Bachkovo Icon
Monday Bulgarians are celebrating the second day of Easter, and the first day of the Bright Week, or Week of Renewal, following Jesus Christ's resurrection.
Thousands gathered at the great Bachkovo Monastery in the Rhodope Mountains south of Plovdiv in a traditional Easter meeting centered around the wonder-working icon of Virgin Mary.
The story goes that the icon was discovered some time in the 14th c. by two little shepherds high in the mountains, where they witnessed wondrous flames going out from the ground.
It is said to have healed and otherwise helped many a person ever since.
Monday Christians gathered in a solemn religious procession behind the image of the Mother of Christ.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » Bulgarian Health Minister: For Now, a Full Lockdown in the Country is Not Necessary
- » British MP Stabbed in a Church
- » Bulgarian Police Broke Up a Network for Issuing Fake Vaccination Certificates
- » Bulgaria: Cost for a Seriously Sick Person with COVID-19 is Over BGN 3,500
- » Bulgarian Prof.: A Booster Dose is Given 6 Months after the Second
- » Weather in Bulgaria: Orange Code for Intensive Rainfall around the Country