Indonesian Volcano Erupts, Sends Lava and Gas
One of Indonesia's most active volcanoes, Mount Karangetang, erupted Friday, sending lava and searing gas clouds down its slopes.
The Washington Post reported that volcanology official Agus Budianto said authorities were still trying to evacuate residents living near the slopes of Mount Karangetang.
There have not been immediate reports of injuries or damages.
The 1 784-meter mountain is located on Siau, part of the Sulawesi island chain. It last erupted in August, killing four people.
The eruption occurred hours after a devastating 8.9-magnitude earthquake hit Japan and triggered a Pacific-wide tsunami.
In November 2010, Indonesia's most dangerous volcano, Mount Merapi, erupted and killed at least 58 people and injured dozens.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » Euro Ombudsman: EC hides Correspondence between Von der Layen and Pfizer
- » Lavrov: Russia does not want War with Ukraine
- » Lukashenko: War is Possible only if Belarus or Russia are Attacked
- » Croatian Minister: The President Embarrassed us in front of Bulgaria and Ukraine
- » Biden-Zelensky Conversation did Not go Well
- » NATO is considering Deploying Troops in Slovakia