Bulgarian Archaeologist Outraged at Michael Palin
Nikolay Ovcharov, a prominent archaeologist, has joined the wave of Bulgarians outraged at a Michael Palin travel episode featuring the country, which was recently broadcast by the BBC.
"Bulgaria's society should react to the scandalous movie and take a clear position," Ovcharov said at a press conference on Tuesday. His rage was provoked by an episode of Palin's travel series New Europe, which featured segments on Macedonia, Bulgaria and Turkey.
In the episode, Palin says that 'Bulgaria is famous mostly with the fact that a lot of gypsies live there.'
He reports from the Plovdiv Roma ghetto of Stolipinovo and states Plovdiv may be called a 'gypsy city'.
According to Ovcharov, the British actor and journalist has skipped showing the Bulgarian cultural heritage instead, which has hurt the country's international image
- » One of the Rarest Coins in the World Is up for Auction
- » 5.2 Magnitude Earthquake Struck South Sumatra
- » A Municipality in Denmark with an Ambitious Program For Reducing Emissions
- » Two Writers Have Won the Prestigious Booker Prize for 2019
- » Mostly Sunny Today, with Temperatures From 23C to 28C
- » Elton John Calls Michael Jackson "Mentally Ill" and a "Disturbing Person to Be Around"