Bulgarian Archaeologist Outraged at Michael Palin
Nikolay Ovcharov, a prominent archaeologist, has joined the wave of Bulgarians outraged at a Michael Palin travel episode featuring the country, which was recently broadcast by the BBC.
"Bulgaria's society should react to the scandalous movie and take a clear position," Ovcharov said at a press conference on Tuesday. His rage was provoked by an episode of Palin's travel series New Europe, which featured segments on Macedonia, Bulgaria and Turkey.
In the episode, Palin says that 'Bulgaria is famous mostly with the fact that a lot of gypsies live there.'
He reports from the Plovdiv Roma ghetto of Stolipinovo and states Plovdiv may be called a 'gypsy city'.
According to Ovcharov, the British actor and journalist has skipped showing the Bulgarian cultural heritage instead, which has hurt the country's international image
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » SpaceX Successfully Launched its First Two People into Orbit (Video + Live Stream)
- » May 31: 2531 Total Cases of Coronavirus in Bulgaria, 14 Newly Registered
- » Conferences and Seminars are Allowed in Bulgaria
- » 14 New Cases of COVID-19 in Bulgaria for the last 24 Hours
- » Weather in Bulgaria Today - May 30th
- » South Korea: Many Schools Close Again After Reopening