Bulgarian Plane to Transport Egyptians Stranded in Libya
A plane of the Bulgarian flag carrier "Bulgaria Air" is on standby, ready to depart on a humanitarian mission to Libya, the Foreign Ministry announces Saturday in a press release.
The plane will transport refugees from Libya to Egypt. It will execute between 3 and 6 two-way flights.
According to assessments of the European Commission, a huge humanitarian crisis is looming in the region with 100 000 people currently attempting to leave tumultuous Libya and reach their native countries. The largest group includes 15 000 Egyptian citizens.
In addition, the government's Airbus 319 with 140 seats is expected to transport about 400 Egyptians from Tunisia to Cairo.
"The Middle East is too close to us and Bulgaria and the EU cannot afford to allow a large-scale humanitarian crisis there, more so because the political crisis in Libya is far from being over. There are tens of thousands of Egyptians still stranded in Libya. Bulgaria has reached an agreement with Tunisia and Egypt to assist these people," Foreign Affairs Minister, Nikolay Mladenov, is quoted saying.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » North Macedonia Promised to Not Allow Incidents during the Celebration of Gotse Delchev, Bulgaria with Measures against Provocateurs
- » The Foreign Ministry will Demand the Access of Bulgarian Citizens to North Macedonia to be Ensured
- » A Visit of a Bulgarian Theater Production was Canceled in North Macedonia
- » Provocation after Provocation: Macedonians will Block Roads for Bulgarians Heading to Gotse Delchev's Grave
- » North Macedonia’s Foreign Minister: Bulgarian Clubs should Change their Names
- » Bulgaria’s MFA summons the Macedonian Ambassador because of the Beating of a Bulgarian in Ohrid