Bulgaria Braces for Influx of Migrants after Arab Turmoil
The situation in the Arab world will most likely lead to an increased immigrant pressure on the Bulgarian borders, the country's Interior Minister Tsvetan Tsvetanov said Tuesday.
"Two new asylum centers in Lyubimets and Pastrogor are ready, but should the immigrant pressure increases, we have discussed other measures, too," Tsvetanov clarified before the Bulgarian National Television.
Last week, Bulgarian experts called on the government and the European institutions to brace for a large influx of migrants due to turmoil in the Middle East, warning the continent's policies on immigration and the world's fledgling anti-smuggling efforts will be put to the test.
On Saturday, the European Union sent a team of border experts to Italy to help process the flooding of refugees from Tunisia triggered by pro-democracy protests that toppled President Zine El Abidine Ben Ali.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » Foreign Minister: Joining the OECD is Bulgaria's most Serious Integration Effort after the EU and NATO
- » Russian Senator: Bulgaria should Freeze because it is an Unfriendly Country
- » Bulgaria Suspends Visas for Russians with Property in Bulgaria and for Tourists from Russia
- » Russia Expelled 14 Bulgarian Diplomats
- » The Russian Ambassador expressed Hope that things will Change in Bulgaria
- » US Ambassador: Politicians in Bulgaria take advantage of Russian Propaganda for short-term Benefits