Increased Police Presence at Bulgarian-Serbian Border
Serbian authorities have blocked the "Oltomantsi" checkpoint on the Bulgarian border in order to stop people with Bulgarian origin to enter the country.
The news was reported by the private TV channel bTV Friday morning. Bulgarians gathered at the checkpoint have been told they must wait, but no one has informed them about the reason or when the checkpoint will reopen.
The Bulgarians who have arrived at "Oltomatsi" are trying to reach the town of Bosilegrad to lay a wreath at the monument of Bulgaria's national hero and revolutionary, Vasil Levski.
On Saturday, February 19, Bulgarians will mark the 138th anniversary of Levski's hanging, after being sentenced to death by an Ottoman court.
There is increased police presence at the checkpoint with about 50 armed police arriving early morning in a bus, according to bTV.
- » Bulgarian President Radev goes to Paris for Remembrance Day, 100 years since the End of World War I
- » Marine Le Pen Will Visit Sofia on November 16
- » Relations between Bulgaria and Azerbaijan Reach Level of Strategic Partnership
- » Bulgarian Energy Minister Petkova and Montenegro Ambassador Discuss Belene Nuclear Project
- » Bulgaria and Finland will Exchange Students and Teachers
- » Bulgaria’s Deputy PM Zaharieva Met with US National Security Adviser John Bolton