Bulgarian Rightists: Natonal Security Agency Head to Become PM's Scapegoat
Head of Bulgaria's National Security Agency (DANS) Tsvetlin Yovchev will be PM Boyko Borisov's scapegoat in the recent wiretapping scandal, the rightist Blue Coalition has said.
Tsvetlin Yovchev submitted his resignation earlier on Wednesday, asking Borisov that he is dismissed from office due to the government's consistent lack of trust in his skills. The reason is the recent scandal which involved leaked conversations between senior government officials and Customs Office chief Vanyo Tanov.
The responsibility for the recent leak of discrediting phone conversations between high officials must be taken not only by DANS, but also by the Interior Ministry, according to Martin Dimitrov, co-leader of the Blue Coalition.
Meanwhile, Volen Siderov, leader of the far-right Ataka (Atack) party, has declared that Yovchev's resignation is a mistake, since he has carried out important reforms and has coped decently with his job. Ataka is the closest ally of Boyko Borisov's GERB, while the Blue Coalition has grown increasingly reserved towards the fovernment.
Earlier on Wednesday, before Yovchev's resignation, Borisov said he would execute changes in DANS without hesitating if its leadership fails to provide security of information and to stop the scandalous leaks of classified information.
Yovchev was appointed Director of DANS after the prime minister accepted the resignation of the former head Petko Sertov at the beginning of August 2009. He took office on August 10 after President Georgi Parvanov issued a decree for his appointment.
- » White Brotherhood of Bulgaria Gather for Supernatural-like Ritual near Rila Lakes
- » The Fire in the Old Landfill in Svishtov is Under Control, Crews on Site are Monitoring the Situation
- » This Year Bulgaria has Allocated BGN 70 Million for Reclamation of Old Landfills
- » Global Game Industry is Stepping into Bulgaria
- » Carriers will be Able to Test the TOL System
- » A New Case of African Swine Fever in Plovdiv and Lovech