EU Hails Mubarak's Resignation, Egyptian Democracy
The European Union has hailed the success of Egyptian protesters in making long-standing President Hosni Mubarak resign.
By resigning, Mubarak "has listened to the voices of the Egyptian people and has opened the way to faster and deeper reforms," EU High Representative for Foreign Policy Catherine Ashton has declared shortly after Egypt's VP Omar Suleiman announced Mubarak's resignation in a televised address Friday night.
"It is important now that the dialogue is accelerated leading to a broad-based government," Ashton said as cited by the WP.
"Europe will measure the next steps in the fulfillment of the people's demand by repealing the emergency laws and by ending all intimidation of journalists, human rights defenders or political dissidents," declared in turn European Parliament President Jerzy Buzek.
Buzek has pointed out that, now that Mubarak has stepped down, the people of Egypt want the full transformation of the old regime.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » Bulgaria’s Defense Minister thinks there was an Explosion on Board Prigozhin’s Plane
- » EC is Preparing Criminal Proceedings against Bulgaria for Accessing Data from Criminal Record Certificates
- » The European Commission Started an Evaluation of the Bulgarian Recovery Plan
- » Nearly 60% of Bulgarians are Skeptical about Adopting the Euro
- » Bulgaria Is Late to Explain Its Position on N.Macedonia Says Diplomat
- » New German Government and Old Bulgarian "bad boy" Borissov