Train Collision Kills 10 in Germany
A train crash in eastern Germany killed at least 10 people and injured another 33 late Saturday.
A local passenger train and a cargo train collided head-on in the state of Saxony-Anhalt , near the city of Magdeburg.
The passenger train, the HarzElbeExpress, was the last train of the evening out of Magdeburg. It was travelling on a single track section between Magdeburg and Halberstadt. Overnight engineering work was scheduled for that same track.
The cause of the crash remains unclear at the moment.
Several cars were derailed after the collision near the village of Hordorf at about 10:30 pm.
Local police report the rescue operations, involving over 150 firemen and police, are ongoing and the death toll may rise further.
A spokesman for Veolia, the company which runs the HarzElbeExpress service, said that the train had a capacity of about 100 people. About 45 people were on board at the time of the crash.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » In his State of the Union Address, Biden called for Unity
- » The Death Toll from the Earthquakes in Turkey and Syria exceeded 8,100 people
- » Bulgaria: Schengen Condition Fulfilled - Migrants on the Balkan Route have Halved
- » Erdogan declared Three-Month State of Emergency in 10 Regions of Turkey, Deaths from the Earthquakes are now 5000
- » Day 349 of the Invasion of Ukraine: Kyiv Expects a New Russian Offensive Very Soon
- » Turkey's Energy Infrastructure after the Earthquakes: Huge Fire, Stopped Gas and Oil Pipelines