21% of Bulgarians at Risk of Poverty - Poll
The negative effect of the economic crisis on Bulgaria's population is going down, according to poll conducted by the "Open Society" Institute and the World Bank.
The poll, involving 6 225 respondents, shows the percentage of those affected by the crisis was 19% in September 2010, compared to 24% in February.
Poverty line, however, remains high, especially compared to the EU average. In September 21.4% of Bulgarians were at risk of poverty, compared to 21.1% in January, according to the EU statistical office Eurostat.
Every 3rd household limits the consumption of food while every 5th does not purchase the needed medications.
8% of those polled say they skip meals while this percentage reaches 17% among the most disadvantaged sectors of society.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » Bulgaria: New Earthquake near Plovdiv
- » COVID-19 in Bulgaria: 66 New Cases in the Last 24 hours
- » Weather in Bulgaria: Sunny with Rain only in the Mountains
- » An Early Warning system for Disasters and Accidents is being developed in Bulgaria
- » COVID-19 in Bulgaria: 60 New Cases in the Last 24 hours
- » Weather in Bulgaria: Sunny with Rain only in the Southwestern Regions