Bulgaria's Tobacco-Growers Strike as Parliament Debates Budget
Thousands of tobacco-growers gathered in front of the building of the Bulgarian Parliament to request more state subsidies as the legislative body debates on second reading the state budget for 2011.
Minister of Agriculture Miroslav Naydenov came out to answer to protesters' demands, saying he worked hard to ensure a BGN 140 M of state aid for the sector.
He added that should budget 2011 outperform, tobacco-producers will receive an additional BGN 70 M mid-year 2011.
In Parliament, the Movement of Rights and Freedoms as usual has spoken out strongly in support of tobacco-producers, many of whom are of a Turkish ethnic origin.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » Weather in Bulgaria July 10: Mostly Sunny Today, Temperatures Up to 34 Degrees
- » Anti-Record: 330 Newly Registered Cases of COVID-19 in Bulgaria
- » Bulgaria Marks the 170th Anniversary of the Birth of Ivan Vazov
- » Bulgarian Ministry of Education: Three Scenarios For Starting The New School Year
- » Weather in Bulgaria July 9: Sunny and Hot, Temperatures Up to 33 Degrees
- » Daily Record: 240 New Cases of COVID-19 in Bulgaria, 6342 Total