Bulgaria Ranks Third Among Most Convicted Countries
Bulgaria ranks third in the most convicted countries for violated human rights, following Turkey and Russia, the judge from Bulgaria's Supreme Court of Cassations, Pavlina Panova, said.
In her words, Bulgaria is among the countries that pay the most compensations after verdicts by the European Court of Human Rights (ECHR).
"Because of the controversial practice on judicial decisions, there is a big risk for our country," Panova said.
She gave an example with the case of three former employees of the Department of Operational and Technical Information, which were sent to court over bugging devices that were found in the home of former chief prosecutor.
The three men received different verdicts with respect to their dismissal, even though their cases were completely identical.
According to Paunova, it is expected soon an interpretative decision of the Supreme Court of Cassations for the unjustified ban on leaving the country, which is imposed on outstanding obligations. In her words, such a restriction violates people's right of free movement.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » Bulgaria’s Premier Joins in Official Online Ceremony of OECD
- » Venice Commission: Bulgaria’s Decision on Prosecutor General Supervision Is Strange
- » Bulgaria To Ban 8 Disposable Plastic Products from Summer 2021
- » Dozens of Bulgarians Arrive from UK Today, Others Still Stranded on Britain’s Borders
- » European Parliament Again Invites Bulgarian Authorities for Hearing
- » Urban Waste Accounts for 7-10 Percent of Garbage Generated in EU