Bulgarian Capital Sofia to Light Christmas Tree Dec 1
For the third consecutive year the Christmas lights of Bulgaria's capital Sofia will be lit on December 1.
The traditional Sofia Christmas tree, the 50-year-old pine near the Rila Hotel in the downtown, will be opened by Mayor Yordanka Fandakova, at 6:30 pm on December 1.
The Christmas Tree ceremony will be preceded by an open concert of dance and song groups, which will be brought from the National Palace of Culture to the tree with an antique tram car. The ceremony will feature fireworks.
For the first time in several years, there will be Christmas lights on the Brussels Blvd leading to the Sofia International Airport. The Russian Church, the Alexander Nevsky Cathedral and the National Theater will also feature special Christmas decorations, as will several other major boulevards and buildings.
The Sofia Municipality has set aside only BGN 30 000 for Christmas lights this year; this, however, is compensated by private companies whose combined contribution to making Sofia pretty for the winter holidays is over BGN 500 000.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » Weather in Bulgaria July 10: Mostly Sunny Today, Temperatures Up to 34 Degrees
- » Anti-Record: 330 Newly Registered Cases of COVID-19 in Bulgaria
- » Bulgaria Marks the 170th Anniversary of the Birth of Ivan Vazov
- » Bulgarian Ministry of Education: Three Scenarios For Starting The New School Year
- » Weather in Bulgaria July 9: Sunny and Hot, Temperatures Up to 33 Degrees
- » Daily Record: 240 New Cases of COVID-19 in Bulgaria, 6342 Total