Bulgarian Police Nab Phone Swine Flu Frauds
A gang has been apprehended by the Bulgarian police Thursday for phone frauds taking advantage of people's fear from swine flu.
The operation was codenamed "The Vaccines"
The gang, consisting of three members, has been calling people all across the country, stating that a relative of the person called is seriously ill from swine flu and in urgent need of an expensive vaccine.
The money for the "vaccine" has been collected by a Serbian taxi driver, one of those three detained Thursday.
In this way, the gang's members have earned as much as BGN 100 000.
This is the latest of the multiple codenamed police operations the Bulgarian Interior Ministry has carried out recently, the other ones form Wednesday were entitled "The Moles" and "The Plastics".
- » Six Killed in a Gunfire in Germany
- » Six Senior Public Officials Investigated over Conflict of Interest
- » Former Interpol Chief Sentenced to more than 13 Years in Prison for Corruption
- » Nearly 100 Dangerous Prisoners Escaped from a Prison in Paraguay
- » Bulgarian Man Brutally Murdered in London
- » A Bulgarian was Seriously Injured in an Attack in Malta